| Photos by Peggy McDonald |
Peggy McDonald is the VegHeadz gardener who knows the absolute most about Roselle. She grows it each year at home and in the VegHeadz garden. We call her the Roselle Queen.
Peggy has started harvesting this year’s Roselle. Here’s her report.
The two Roselle, Hibiscus sabdariffa, I planted May 1st, 2026 have started to fruit.
The calyxes are fully formed a month before the winter solstice when they usually bloom. Obviously the plants could not wait another month. All I did was tie them to a T-post and watch them grow, they are now over 7' tall and 5' wide. These plants do have sprinklers so the drought did not affect them.
This is actually the third year in a row that my Roselle has bloomed a month early.
I've included one photo showing how to process the fruit for those new to growing Roselle.
Search Roselle in the right sidebar to learn a lot more about growing, harvesting, and using Roselle, including some recipes.
No comments:
Post a Comment